Latest posts by Aussie Dave (see all)
- Shaul Mofaz, Time Traveler or Shape-Shifting Reptile? - April 24, 2015
- Watch: Stephen Harper’s Yom Ha’atzmaut Message - April 23, 2015
- Frank Sinatra In Israel, Yom Ha’atzmaut 1962 - April 23, 2015
- Interesting Rumor Of The Day: James Packer Becomes Israeli Citizen - April 23, 2015
- Watch: Israelis From 0-100 - April 23, 2015
A senior Palestinian official on Sunday panned recent comments by Australia’s foreign minister to the Times of Israel in which she called on the international community to stop branding Israeli settlements illegal.
PLO Executive Committee member Hanan Ashrawi said statements by Julie Bishop represented “dangerous shifts in Australian foreign policy” and called for an official clarification of Australian policy on the issue.
“I would like to remind the Australian government that in accordance with international human rights law and international humanitarian law, all settlements are illegal,” Ashrawi wrote in a statement on Sunday, citing Article 49 of the Fourth Geneva Convention and Article 43 of the Hague Regulations.
Ashrawi referred to Bishop’s comments as “willful defiance of international consensus.”
She must be rather