Latest posts by Aussie Dave (see all)
- Mark Ruffalo, The Incredible Dolt - September 4, 2015
- Cardiff Council Cancels Photo Exhibition Which Paints Israel In True Light - September 4, 2015
- Shirley Temper And Friends Working On New Movie - September 1, 2015
- Introducing the Israellycool E-Blast - September 1, 2015
- Shirley Temper And Brother Follow The Script - August 31, 2015
Attention all social media gurus and ninjas: there’s a new job opening in Israel.
With the UN! (hat tip: Harry)
Organization: UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East
Country: occupied Palestinian territory
Closing date: 31 Jan 2014
The Social Media and Advocacy Coordinator will provide social media and project management support to the Communications Division at UNRWA. This includes, but is not limited to, social media and general advocacy, web analytics, and event planning and coordination. Responsibilities may also include copy-editing and writing. Qualified applicants must have a passion for and be well versed in various social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Google+, YouTube and other emerging platforms.
Create and manage UNRWA social media channels, uploading information and materials;
Monitor comments and give feedback, engaging with users on all social media platforms to expand the Agency’s network.
Develop and coordinate media campaigns to inform the public about UNRWA and advocate for Palestine refugees;
Generate content-marketing metrics and reports associated with web analytics.
Under the guidance of the UNRWA Communications Officer, the incumbent will support the office in the following tasks:
Manage the UNRWA social media pages and special events;
Support the Agency-wide coordination and implementation of engaging awareness-raising campaigns for international, regional and local audiences about the nature and impact of UNRWA work;
Ensure regular and timely updates of UNRWA social media platforms with content, including short posts, photos, audio and video files, as appropriate;
Design, create and manage UNRWA advocacy campaigns, including on- and off-line presentations;
Oversee design and brand consistency of various social media platforms;
Monitor social media pages and engage with users, providing initial feedback in consultation with the Chief of UNRWA Communications to ensure that ethical standards are maintained;
Collaborate with the communications team to compile social media analytics and digest those into actionable summaries;
Provide copy-editing and writing support where needed;
Other duties, as assigned.
1. Minimum Qualifications
Degree in communication, marketing, media or a related field, or a degree in a relevant field combined with solid work experience in use of digital communication;
Fluency in oral and written Arabic and English languages;
At least one year working in the field of digital communication, including recent experience in content development and networking for social media platforms and analytics;
Knowledge of the Middle East conflict, the situation of Palestine refugees and the work of UNRWA.
4. Desirable Qualifications
Experience using Photoshop and Illustrator to edit and format images for use in social media;
Thorough knowledge of current technologies and practices regarding digital media;
Experience with the UN or international development organizations.
How to apply:
Please address applications to: Sami M’shasha, UNRWA Spokesperson, HQ Communications, Jerusalem – [email protected]
Applications must be received no later than Friday, 31 January 2014.
Please bear the following in mind:
- If you did not notice the spelling error in the job title, you might be overqualified for the position.
- Likewise, if you can actually list the numbers to 4 correctly.
- Apparently, “occupied Palestinian territory” – East Jerusalem – is a country. Go figure.
- Fluency in oral and written Arabic is a job requirement, yet not Hebrew. So (most) Israelis need not apply.
- One can only imagine why “Experience using Photoshop and Illustrator to edit and format images for use in social media” is a desirable qualification