The Day in Israel: Sat Mar 14th, 2009
Click refresh to see new updates during the day
Shavua tov, everyone. Let’s see what I missed while I was celebrating the Jewish Sabbath:
- Palestinians fired 2 Qassams Friday evening, and another one this evening.
- Obama aide Paul A. Volcker and nine former senior American officials urged him to talk to Hamas. Mother Volcker.
- Hamas promised to continue smuggling arms to Gaza, not to mention using them.
- Osama Bin Laden called Israel’s recent operation in Gaza a “Holocaust.” Wow, he really needs to get original material.
- The British rediscovered their cojones, refusing to grant a visa to Hizbullah-affiliated journalist Ibrahim Moussawi who was to deliver a lecture on “political Islam.”
- Speaking of Hizbullah, their leader Hassan Nasrallah vowed never to recognize Israel “as long as Hizbullah exists.” Well, there’s an easy solution to that one then.
Updates (Israel time; most recent at top)
8:43PM: Introducing the Israeli Kaffiyeh (hat tip: DoubleTapper)
I know what you’re thinking. You’d just love one of those. And you wouldn’t mind the kaffiyeh either.
Well, she’s not for sale, but the kaffiyeh is, and you can order one here.
8:36PM: The palestinian Ramattan News agency reports:
The Secretary General of the Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC) Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu will visit the Gaza Strip on Sunday for one day to see the results of the last Israeli offensive against Gaza.
Apparently, one such result was that it rendered his name even harder to spell.
8:30PM: Here is what appears to be a Hamas propaganda video that contains, amongst other things, disturbing images of palestinian child abuse.
Pope Benedict XVI will not visit Israel’s Holocaust museum when he makes his first trip to the region as pope in May, though he will visit a memorial that is part of the site, his ambassador to Israel said Tuesday.
He will also become the first pontiff to visit the Dome of the Rock, one of the holiest sites in Islam, said the envoy, papal nuncio Antonio Franco.
Foreign heads of state normally visit the Holocaust museum, which is part of the Yad Vashem complex in Jerusalem. But it includes controversial wording describing the role of Pope Pius XII during World War II, which is why Pope Benedict balked, an Israeli official said.
8:00PM: What do Jewish porn actor Ron Jeremy and the Israeli film Waltz With Bashir have in common?
Ron Jeremy may never win an Oscar, but he had a slight brush with one this year. The porky porn legend recently learned he was animated briefly into “Waltz With Bashir,” which was up for best foreign film. “There’s a scene where one of the soldiers is watching a porno, and it’s me on the screen, you can tell . . . And they thank me in the end credits,” Jeremy told avn.com. “[It’s] pretty nice to be recognized like that, in an Academy Award-nominated film.”
7:55PM: Introducing our latest weapon: Zionist Deathbetes.TM
Diagnoses of diabetes among Palestinians in the West Bank increased by 27.5% in 2008, the Palestinian Health Ministry in Ramallah reported on Thursday.
The total number of people diagnosed with the disease rose to 3491 from 2220 in 2007. In a report the Health Ministry says that part of the increase may be attributed to a larger number of people being tested for the disease.
Experts are linking this increase with the economic and political situation in the Palestinian territories.
Alternatively, they are getting diabetes from eating too many candies after every terror attack.