“The Other 98%” Ignores 2%

Hot on the heels of Carly Pildis’s brilliant essay on the erasure of Jews in the American anti-racism movement, the left wing group “The Other 98%” proves her right with this video:

The post has over 50,000 shares, almost 30,000 “likes,” and a thousand comments. In it, pro-wrester John Cena is ostensibly promoting diversity. He asks his viewers to picture an “average US citizen.” He then goes on to correct the image, saying,

There are 319 million US citizens. Fifty-one percent are female. So first off, the average American is a woman. Cool, huh? Is that what you pictured? Fifty-four million are Latino, 40 million senior citizens, 27 million are disabled, 18 million are Asian. That’s more people in the US than play football and baseball combined. Nine million are lesbian, gay, bi, transgender, more than the entire amount of people who live in the state of Virginia. Around 10 million are redheaded, 5.1 million play ultimate frisbee, 3½ million are Muslim – triple the number of people currently serving in the US military. Almost half the country belongs to minority groups – people who are lesbian, African American and bi and transgender and Native American and proud of it.

Notice anyone missing?

Jews make up about 2% of the US population. I guess that is the 2% that “The Other 98%” doesn’t represent.



A Zionist in exile, Mirabelle has, in past lives, been a lawyer, a skier, and a chef. Outside of Israel, her favorite place in the world is Sun Valley, Idaho.

Daily Updates

Delivered straight to Your mailbox


By signing up, you agree to our terms