An Israellycool Public Service Announcement
Barak last week decided not to authorize a preemptive strike before the terrorist attack on the Egyptian border, a senior official in Jerusalem said. Barak feared that the move would spark a serious conflagration in the Gaza Strip.
Defense Minister Ehud Barak said during an interview with The Economist magazine published Friday that Israel will agree to Egypt deploying thousands of troops in Sinai even though the Israel-Egypt peace treaty strictly forbids it.
Barak, backed by Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu, said during the interview, that “the troops will have helicopters and armored vehicles, but no tanks beyond the lone battalion already stationed there.”
“Sometimes you have to subordinate strategic considerations to tactical needs,” Barak said.
According to The Economist, Barak did not downplay Israel’s long-term concern or the risk in what he is proposing. The new troops allowed into Sinai are unlikely ever to be withdrawn by any Egyptian government, according to the magazine.
If anyone finds them, please send them to:
PO Box 84, La La Land, Israel, 83234
As you were.